Online MPA programmes
- Students should normally have at least a 2:2 undergraduate degree and substantive professional experience.
- If they don’t have experience of undergraduate study or only of a lower standard, the application may be considered if they have a suitable professional background, as outlined below.
Students should have professional experience in the public policy/public service/public administration/international development field. This could be in roles in local or national government, or in non-governmental, intergovernmental or international organisations, the voluntary and charitable sector, and private sector roles which support or deliver public services or which interact with policy making. The extent of experience should be at least on an early career level, with some degree of involvement in organisational decision-making or with a clear career path towards such responsibilities.
If you earned your undergraduate degree outside of the UK, you should check that it is equivalent to a 2:1. Our country-specific pages can help you to find out.
English language requirements
If English isn’t your first language you may need to provide evidence of your ability, such as:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5, with 6.0 in each component
- IELTS Indicator: 6.5, with 6.0 in each component
- TOEFL IBT (internet-based and special home edition): 87, with 21 in each component
- Trinity ISE: Level 3 with Merit in each component
- PTE Academic and PTE Academic Online: 61, with a minimum of 61 in Writing and no less than 55 in all other components
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Cambridge Proficiency (CPE): 176, with 169 in each component
- GCSE: B / 6 or above
- Duolingo: 120, with 105 in each component
- LanguageCert B2 Communicator: High Pass with 33/50 in each component
You need to have completed the test within two and a half years of the start date of your programme. You cannot combine scores from more than one sitting of the test.
You will not need to provide evidence of your English language abilities:
- if you’re from a specified majority English-speaking country
- if you’ve completed a degree in English in a specified country within two years of your intended start date